Monday, April 1, 2013

Commentary on Freidman’s Op-Ed: “Need a Job? Invent It”






Came across this article that couldn’t have come at a better time. Not only does this article talk about those of us who are in a rut in our careers, but it also discusses how we need to change our education system.

To begin with, this article discusses how our generation now has to re-create our jobs or simply invent knew ones because of technology and our every changing world. I recently mentioned in a post how I felt like I was going nowhere in my current job, and how I needed to take risks. This was exactly the risk I needed to hear about, as I’m sure many of you out there need to hear it to. It’s time for us to step out of the “norm”, move away from the comfort zone, and begin thinking creatively about our skills and what we have to offer as professionals. Upset about the way your field is running, write a book, figure out a way to change it, and talk about it! Become your own boss and create the dream job you want!!

Now on the other hand, this article deals with the education system in the US, and I can’t agree with it more. As an educator, I can speak first hand and say that we aren’t preparing our students for the future. I fully agree with Wagner about the fact that we need to stop focusing on “college readiness” and begin looking at “innovation readiness”. I know I’ve said it before that being prepared to get into college isn’t enough. We need to make sure that our youth are ready and prepared for beyond college, AKA the real world. Which means, how to problem solve, how to lead, how to manage, and how to create. I teach in an all boy school where the population is 99.9% Black. And I know that many of them lack the ability to think for themselves, or at least in a creative capacity (except when it comes to music, lyrics, and fashion). Its sad to think that education is only regurgitated material that is stuffed into their brains.  When will the US wake up? Maybe its time for educators who are fed up to put their feet down and take the reigns.

At any rate, this book will be in my summer reading list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment