Monday, April 1, 2013

Reflections of India: Life is About Risks


Here I am, laying on the bed during my last full day in India, thinking about all my experiences and all of the people I have met during my time here; reflecting on what I’ve learned and how I have/want to change.

To begin with, India has definitely taught me a new level of humility. Compared to all we have in the US, Indians do not have much. In fact they have more. They have true happiness and appreciation of life, something we lack in the states. We are always busy trying to get ahead and trying to attain greatness and wealth, we never stop and live in the moment. We always overthink, trying to figure out how a decision will effect us tomorrow rather than just living in the now. Right now, I want to go right. And if right doesn’t work, I’ve learned from that decision and I move on.

On our last night as a group, we had dinner with our Indian guide, Bhati. As we were expressing our gratitude for how Bhati had taken such good care of us, he began to explain why he is treated us with such kindness. To paraphrase, he said life was all about the people you meet and the experiences you have. If you are kind to one person, what they remember is your kindness. One day they will remember you for what you did. That is the important thing; treating people well and doing what you feel is right. He went on to say that we should never allow what others think and say effect the decisions we make and the people we become. We can’t live in fear of what will happen, we just have to jump. A life lived in fear is not a life lived at all… it’s a boring life!

I can’t say how much this hit home. I thought about my life and where I am at and how I’ve lost that passion, fire, and spirit in my life. I looked at how boring and monotonous it has become, and I realized its because I have begun to live life in fear of the unknown. I’ve gotten so concerned with the issues of life that I forgot how to live in the moment, how to take chances and risks. With that conversation came the realization the life is all about taking risks. And being afraid sometimes means that we’re going in the right direction. God is trying to break us out of our comfort zones and bring us into something greater.

I’m getting goosebumps all over again as I write this, but this was the message, the lesson that I needed from this adventure. From this point on, I won’t live in fear, but rather follow my heart rather than my head. I’ll be making decisions that won’t make a lot of sense to people around me, but I that doesn’t matter to me any more. I’m ready for the next level, the something greater and I can’t wait to see where God is going to take me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh I was just thinking about this idea of fear as I was listening to Demi Lovato's "Heart Attack" (great song btw). We could do so much MORE with our lives if we step over that bridge of fear. I'm glad India was eye opening and humbling for you!

    P.s. love your blog!
    P.P.S. How did you get the category sections at the top your blog?

    ReplyDelete